When did it generally stop being the norm to keep chickens in cities?

Probably more like the 1930s, definitely no longer common in the 1950s
They'd want chickens in the depression. I was guessing it was post WWll during economic boom. There was no longer a need for them. Definitely still had chickens in cities during the war as there was a need for eggs. I'm thinking post war boom times and that would lead to diminish in early 50's.

Agreed Waddles99 - urban or suburban - my neighborhood has a lot more problems with feral cats, pet cats eating birds, dogs getting out of people's back yards and wandering the streets - including two dogs that have been killing cats. And then there are the people who don't clean up after their dogs... it's a shame so many people are so out of touch with most animals... their loss. One thing about the internet that I celebrate - are all the videos of all kinds of animals (besides dogs and cats) doing things that show their smarts, compassion, joy, curiosity, grief, playfulness etc. I think that has made a huge difference in how people view animals.

I think it's SHOULD be the Home owners OWN BUSINESS if they want chickens in suburban areas. As long as roosters are not allowed and they care properly for the birds it's NOT ANY ones else's BUSINESS!! As long as it's clean does not smell and they don't get out of their yard why should that be everyone's business but the homeowner? People are always putting there nose into others business. However part of me is torn about thinking if you have MORE than two or three the lot size should be 10,000 sq. feet in the least
This gives PLENTY of room for a coop and run and it has room for it to be kept a distance from the house. As I said if the chickens are taken care of well it's really NO ONE ELSE'S BUSINESS. it's crazy to me how our PERSONAL Freedoms are being taken away bit by bit and people start to think it's there business to tell the land OWNER how they can live there lives. it should really boil down to PERSONAL CHOICE if a person wants chickend or not. IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE if the animals are PROPERLY cared for !! It also boils down to the IGNORANCE of the general public. They ASSUME OUT OF IGNORANCE that chickens are dirty, bothersome pests WHICH COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!!It truely saddens me that there is such a ignorance and prejudices around backyard Chickens!! If the chickens are cared for Properly it's really no one else's business but the homeowners.Properly cared for Hens shouldn't bother the neighbors one bit. Why should they? they won't smell, are much quieter than dogs, won't run the streets or get into others yards it really should NOT BOTHER ANYONE! SADLY,there is ALWAYS That complainer who isn't really bothered but claims to be and they stick there nose into everyone else's business.I really honestly think it should be fine for suburban people to have a couple of hens, more if their lots are bigger!I don't think it will happen though. We just keep loosing more and more of simple PERSONAL freedoms! it's such a shame to have such ignorance, and Predijust against chickens. They really are wonderful little creatures. Also they are a true joy to own.It saddens me to think suburban people have to miss this amazing experience for NO GOOD REASONS AT ALL!! I can only hope the laws change for them in the future so they can experience the joy of Chicken ownership as well.It SHOULD BE THERE CHOICE to raise chickens if they want!!After all, it IS THEIR PROPERTY!

I think it's SHOULD be the Home owners OWN BUSINESS if they want chickens in suburban areas. As long as roosters are not allowed and they care properly for the birds it's NOT ANY ones else's BUSINESS!! As long as it's clean does not smell and they don't get out of their yard why should that be everyone's business but the homeowner? People are always putting there nose into others business. However part of me is torn about thinking if you have MORE than two or three the lot size should be 10,000 sq. feet in the least
This gives PLENTY of room for a coop and run and it has room for it to be kept a distance from the house. As I said if the chickens are taken care of well it's really NO ONE ELSE'S BUSINESS. it's crazy to me how our PERSONAL Freedoms are being taken away bit by bit and people start to think it's there business to tell the land OWNER how they can live there lives. it should really boil down to PERSONAL CHOICE if a person wants chickend or not. IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE if the animals are PROPERLY cared for !! It also boils down to the IGNORANCE of the general public. They ASSUME OUT OF IGNORANCE that chickens are dirty, bothersome pests WHICH COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!!It truely saddens me that there is such a ignorance and prejudices around backyard Chickens!! If the chickens are cared for Properly it's really no one else's business but the homeowners.Properly cared for Hens shouldn't bother the neighbors one bit. Why should they? they won't smell, are much quieter than dogs, won't run the streets or get into others yards it really should NOT BOTHER ANYONE! SADLY,there is ALWAYS That complainer who isn't really bothered but claims to be and they stick there nose into everyone else's business.I really honestly think it should be fine for suburban people to have a couple of hens, more if their lots are bigger!I don't think it will happen though. We just keep loosing more and more of simple PERSONAL freedoms! it's such a shame to have such ignorance, and Predijust against chickens. They really are wonderful little creatures. Also they are a true joy to own.It saddens me to think suburban people have to miss this amazing experience for NO GOOD REASONS AT ALL!! I can only hope the laws change for them in the future so they can experience the joy of Chicken ownership as well.It SHOULD BE THERE CHOICE to raise chickens if they want!!After all, it IS THEIR PROPERTY!

My thoughts exactly.

Back
Top Bottom