when did your cochins lay there first egg??

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
i have 2 cochin pullets ( got them june 26,2009) so that makes them 7+ months. and still no eggs,
sad.png
. are they eeevvveeerr gonna lay. i have read that giving them some kind of pepper will get them going.
hu.gif
what do u think??

Layin is one thing fertile is another. The breeder I bought my pair of buffs from said they are an April of last year hatch. Pullet laid for the last 6 weeks, until she started to have fertile eggs. Hadn't had one since. Just had their first baby yesterday. I had two. I am happy.

383841339.jpg

Last edited:
Mine LF cochin was 11 months before she laid. Laid for a month then went broody.

My bantam cochin was around the same. Layed for about a week then stopped. Goofy bird!
smack.gif
(but we still love her)

My Black Cochin was a late layer...about 2 monthes later than the Isa Browns and Leghorns....good news is she lays me one EVRYDAY since she started ! Also gave me 2 good Chicks 4 weeks ago and 3 more are ready to hatch in bater.....hope they all make it !
Patience is harder than it sounds...

This may be of help to you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231744&p=1 (you do need a google account to get in to see that... not sure why; thought there used to be a way to see the chart without being logged in).

Anyway, it's a chart tracking breeds and earliest/latest first egg reported from BYC. I wish they'd pinned that thread, because it's a neat resource and over time could become more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom