When did your hens start laying?

SavyNic

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Katy, TX
This post is just for fun since we're starting to get excited about our girls growing big! We have a Barred Rock, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Silkies, a Cream Brabanter, a Welsummer, and a Barnevelder. If you had any of these breeds, when did yours lay its first egg? I did a little research and expect my barred to be first, but I just wanted to hear from y'all! Plus pics for cuteness & EE cuddles 😉
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.48.12 AM.png
IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1857.jpg

I too am in your same boat anxiously awaiting my first egg! My girls were born Feb 2. I have 2 leghorns 1 Australorp, 1 buff orpington, 1 ameraucana and 1 easter egger. All are squatting for me except my orpington so I am hoping any day now :)

I too am in your same boat anxiously awaiting my first egg! My girls were born Feb 2. I have 2 leghorns 1 Australorp, 1 buff orpington, 1 ameraucana and 1 easter egger. All are squatting for me except my orpington so I am hoping any day now :)
Ours were born Feb 21st! I'm a newbie to chickens, so what exactly are you looking for when you see them squat? I guess what I mean is how does it differ from just laying down to relax?

Ours were born Feb 21st! I'm a newbie to chickens, so what exactly are you looking for when you see them squat? I guess what I mean is how does it differ from just laying down to relax?

You can’t miss it when you see it. It’s how you pick up your hens free ranging , they run from you till you get close and suddenly they stop and squat right down. It is submissive like a puppy cowering. You won’t be confused by it when you see it.

You can’t miss it when you see it. It’s how you pick up your hens free ranging , they run from you till you get close and suddenly they stop and squat right down. It is submissive like a puppy cowering. You won’t be confused by it when you see it.
Okay, so just more subdued behavior? Do they typically like to find a more secluded spot when they do this, or is it just wherever they are?

Okay, so just more subdued behavior? Do they typically like to find a more secluded spot when they do this, or is it just wherever they are?
They don’t just do it. They do it when approached by a dominant male rooster or a human. It is a very subordinate act. When you get close (within 2-3 feet) they squat, when you stand back up or step back they immediately resume scratch and peck behavior.

here is a video of a person using the arm in proximity to chicken to make them do it:

They don’t just do it. They do it when approached by a dominant male rooster or a human. It is a very subordinate act. When you get close (within 2-3 feet) they squat, when you stand back up or step back they immediately resume scratch and peck behavior.

here is a video of a person using the arm in proximity to chicken to make them do it:

wow that is really interesting! You're right, it would be unmistakable. Thank you so much for the info! :)

Back
Top Bottom