When do Black Sexlinks start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My Black Sexlink pullet Little Shadow is 4.5 months old. She's gorgeous and very sweet. She's been checking out the nesting boxes and scratching around in them. I just picked her up from the one of the boxes because she was bothering one of my hens. I just noticed that her face and wattles are starting to get red. I'm really excited because she's the very first pullet to start laying from my VERY own stock!!!!!

So when do Black Sexlink's start laying generally?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. Kojack

Kojack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    I wish I could tell you. Mine are in their 24th week. They have red combs and wattles but no eggs yet. I even tried reading chicken soup recipes at bed time... Still no luck. I've seen people here getting eggs in 16 weeks. NO FAIR![​IMG]

3. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    My two started around 20 weeks. They were feedstore chicks though. They'll come soon:)

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh boy I can't wait!!!!!

5. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Me too. Mine is 28 weeks old and still nothing. Hopefully yours will lay soon!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    18-20 wks old is the norm.

AL

7. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    One of my six started laying at 19 weeks. Now at 23 weeks I think they are all laying. The one with the most red and largest combs and wattles was the first to lay. The combs got red, then taller, the fatter. I could guess which ones were laying by the relative size of their combs.

It seems that I got one soft shell first when a hen started to lay then the rest were pullet eggs (smaller). Mixed in were 2 large eggs and one double yolker.

I'm averaging 4 eggs a day out of six birds right now.

Purina Layeena since 18 weeks.

8. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    I have 6 that are 21 weeks old and I got the first egg 2 days ago and 1 yesterday.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Mine are 18 weeks old. No eggs yet, but gettin' pretty cherry red in the face, comb, and waddles .... a sure sign that it is soon! I serve Purina Layena, along with a little double sided cat dish containing the free choice oyster shell and grit . They have really been eatting that up!

10. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I am pretty sure that mine layed yesterday for the first time .. she was born on April fools day ...I think she is 22-24 weeks ish .. The egg was much darker than the ones I have been getting from the RSL and she was in the coop when I found it still warm ... so more than likely it was her . She has such a quiet little voice and no song . My RSL is so loud before and after laying there is no mistaking who layed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by