1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Calls usually lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Nov 28, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    So last year was my first to have Calls lay...they started to lay in February then stopped in July or August. This year they are already laying! I already gathered for enough to send out! They are still laying! Should I expect them to keep laying through spring, or will this be my only chance to have eggs this whole winter/spring? Are they going to lay longer because this is their 2nd season? Sorry for all the questions...just give me an idea of what yours do! Please, thanks!

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't have Calls, but I do have most of the other bantam ducks (including some that were developed from Calls) and going through a brief laying cycle from the late Fall through early Winter is very common. Most of my birds do that. Fertility tends to be lower and they don't lay nearly as many eggs as in the Spring, but they can lay quite a few. Of course, this is just my experience with my birds. I am not sure how this varies with other breeders or Calls specifically.

3. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    No call breeders? c'mon I'm trying to plan on when I should start incubating... [​IMG]

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Usually drakes in the fall aren't fertile or dot try to breed! If you you are feeding layer, this is your problem! Switch them to all corn if you let them lay during the fall it could mess you up on spring production! Then switch them back in January February to all layer!

5. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    My Mojo is doing his job! So if I let them lay now they won't in the spring??? AAAH! Can I just switch them onto scratch? Is it possible they will just keep laying until early summer like last time?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine only lay from March thru about the end of June. I don't think I've ever gotten an egg in the fall from them. I'm sure a lot depends on the climate where you live.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Scratch will be fine! you can let them lay but they wont lay that many in the spring when you want them to lay! Some males do fine now! Mine started breeding at 6 months and he was fertile usually a male call isnt fertile till there 8 months to a year old! I dont advise laying in fall! your duckling seem to be stronger in the spring too!

8. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ours always lay in the fall also and they also pick right back up in the spring and continue on during the summer. I would not worry much about it. If you have the incubator going pop them in. I have goose eggs in now (mine started laying a few weeks ago) We are in Wisconsin.

9. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Well I don't have anything ready to incubate/ brood right now, so who wants some cheap Call eggs to try?!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by