1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do chickens get broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmaniac, May 17, 2012.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ha ha- well yes I would like more chicks, but I have 2 problems :) my coop is not big enough for more, and I dont want to deal with how to merge babies into an existing flock etc..

Good luck :)

2. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I could use some good advice. I have a sex-link hen that is broody and been sitting on the nest for 3 days. She is sweet and lets me remove the eggs but remains on the empty nest. There are no roosters so no chance the eggs are fertile. I picked her up to take her off the nest to put her near the water but she went right back to the nest. I noticed she was very warm when I picked her up and she has no feathers on her chest. Is that part of the brooding process or could she be ill?
    I have Tetracycline on hand but don't want to administer any drugs unless necessary. Should I separate her from the coop nests? Is what I explained normal behavior for a brood hen. Oh yes, she is 14 months old.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes, she is broody. No drugs can cure it, well maybe there is a hormone treatment I haven't heard about. If your trying to break her broodiness, separating her from her nest is one way.

4. RIRMOM

RIRMOM Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    Rice, Texas
    I want my RIR to go broody already, I want baby chicks....I don't think that she is going to, though. She has laid 14 eggs(an egg a day now) and not sitting on them. My husband says to leave them and she will go broody when she is ready, to be patient. I think that the eggs are bad by now and we are wasting the eggs.....any advise?

5. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    i know im still holding eggs waiting for any of my hens to go broody but none want to x( im so impatient

6. Krissy12052

Krissy12052 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    NH
    LOL!! That cracked me up! Seriously?? [​IMG] That must of been so funny!
    I have 2 chickens and one rooster! What are the chances the chickens will become Broody?

7. griffinkid02

griffinkid02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    The best way to adress this (because you cannot FORCE her into broodiness, is to go ahead and toss all the eggs you are holding now. Leaving them with her will NOT encourage her to go broody, although having some fake eggs int he boxes helps to keep them from realizing that a "predator" is raiding their nests. As you collect the eggs each day, set them aside somewhere cool and out of the way in your house (But not the fridge, that's TOO cool). Keep about 8-10 eggs on hand to stick under her when the mood DOES hit her, and rotate the eggs. Once you get 10, the next day put the 3 oldest ones in the fridge for eating, rinse, repeat. The eggs are fine to eat sitting at room temperature for at least a week, but their fertility will dramatically drop after that week, so hanging onto them longer serves no real purpose anyway.

8. RIRMOM

RIRMOM Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    Rice, Texas
    Awesome, thank you for the advise....I will do just that. See, this is why I love this site!!

9. 859007

859007 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    what is the average age for a chicken to become broody i was waiting for eggs but now im waiting for chicks.[​IMG]

10. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    As soon as they start laying they can go broody. Had one go broody two months into her laying career last fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by