When do chickens lay?

You can also use golf balls to guide them to lay where you want. It's funny, I'll switch up which nesting box I put the golf ball in, and the majority of the eggs are always in that box with the ball. You can also buy fake eggs, but golf balls work the same and they're cheaper. I've also discovered egg shaped rocks (or just round rocks) will also encourage them to lay. Lol. It's funny too because they all like to lay in the same place, so I've walked in on 3 hens in the same box before... they didn't really fit too well. Lol. All my chickens are different breeds, so they all started laying at different times even though they were all roughly 6 weeks old when I got them. They are super sneaky with their eggs! Clever girls.

It seems like the first couple eggs are often outside the box - I wonder if it catches them unawares. I have one pullet who goes nuts when an egg is happening, anybody's egg, every day. Even a few days before laying her first egg when I was still in the process of integrating her with the main group, I watched her dash past the "bullies" to run inside their coop to get to the nest boxes, screaming the egg song at the top of her lungs. This summer she's pulled out her breast feathers like she's broody but so far hasn't sat on a nest for any amount of time.

I have one pullet who goes nuts when an egg is happening, anybody's egg, every day. Even a few days before laying her first egg when I was still in the process of integrating her with the main group, I watched her dash past the "bullies" to run inside their coop to get to the nest boxes, screaming the egg song at the top of her lungs. This summer she's pulled out her breast feathers like she's broody but so far hasn't sat on a nest for any amount of time.

Drama queen? One in every crowd? :gig

Back
Top Bottom