When do ducklings start quacking?

Then there are those that just... never quack. If a Muscovy quacks, something is very fishy.
But yeah, you're probably just hearing some practice quacks.

My 7 week old mallard duckling's voice, besides getting a little raspy hasn't changed at all. He still peeps like baby! I'm not to worried about it though because from what I've read this isn't pointing to anything bad just that he's a late bloomer. It is sad when he tries to scare away the chickens and he just sounds like he's crying for mommy to save him.
hu.gif

each duck is different!

I have had them quack at me as early as 3 weeks, and as late as 8-9 weeks ( a magpie duckling)

SO, really ,anywhere in between!

Someimes I find myself hoping for a quack a little longer than I should hoping its just a "late" girl than a boy lol
Lol, me too. Me: She is just a late bloomer, I know it's been six months, and she has a green head and curled tail feathers, but she is going to quack any day now!

My 7 week old mallard duckling's voice, besides getting a little raspy hasn't changed at all. He still peeps like baby! I'm not to worried about it though because from what I've read this isn't pointing to anything bad just that he's a late bloomer. It is sad when he tries to scare away the chickens and he just sounds like he's crying for mommy to save him.
hu.gif
My drakes didn't get their big boy voices until they were a few months old, around the same time they started getting their drake color and feathers.

My 2 week old white pekin has started making a different noise inbetween the usual peeps which sounds a bit like a honk! It’s deeper than a peep but obviously still quite high.

Is this going to develop into a quack? Or is this duckling a mistaken goose? Haha! The other duckling doesn’t make it. I wondered if the one honking was a girl and the other was a boy but then reading here now I’m not sure at all as they’re both still so young compared to all of yours.

I have a black East Indie female that didn’t quack until 16 weeks. But I knew it was a female because I had her blood tested. Then I have my Welshies who all started their puberty quacks between two and three weeks. It was funny because they would be peeping about something then a short honk would come out and then that duck would be silent for a minute in shock of the noise she made.

Back
Top Bottom