When do ducks start laying eggs??

I have a 6.5 month old Anacona duck, at this time she has still not started to lay. Our three males (same age) are mature, they are breeding with her for the last month. She is fed layer feed 16% calcium with oyster shells. Wondering when I can anticipate the female to lay.

I have a 6.5 month old Anacona duck, at this time she has still not started to lay. Our three males (same age) are mature, they are breeding with her for the last month. She is fed layer feed 16% calcium with oyster shells. Wondering when I can anticipate the female to lay.
When you keep the drakes (males) away from her.

Her health and her life are at risk - too much mating prevents egg laying and can seriously injure the duck. They need separate living spaces.

Consider getting five more females to even things out a little better.

I have separated the female from the drakes, She is showing signs of possible contractions each day but still no eggs. Is there something I need to be concerned with? She seems to be acting ok, she is eating and drinking well. Could it be a seasonal reason she is not laying. Here in the Pacific NW we are getting around 10 - 11 hours of daylight. Just want to make sure I am feeding her properly, if possibly it is a nutritional issue, she is eating chicken layer feed 16% protein. Any suggestions would be helpful.

She has been separated from the drakes for about a week. I am culling the drakes down to one, and will keep them in separate pens. She will be given calcium free choice and I guess just wait? Is it the norm for Anacona's to take so long to start laying eggs. I have chickens the same age and they have been laying for the last two months. I just want to make sure I am covering all the bases, if she doesn't lay by next spring I will just cull her. The ducks were my daughters project this last winter, and she lost interest. I have read up on ducks but have no practical experience.

Back
Top Bottom