When do ducks start laying?

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
Hello! Well, I did it again. A year after my call drake was taken by a coyote, a friend gave me a pair of mallard/call crosses. They were hatched in October. My question is, when do they start laying? I'm a bit of duck noob, but I got them so that I could learn more about them, as I want to be a poultry judge one day. Thank you!! :) :) :)

Oops, almost forgot. Picture! :weee

Last edited:
I have two mallard ducklings

... and before I got them, I did some research. It said that ducks start to lay around five months of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two mallard ducklings ... and before I got them, I did some research. It said that ducks start to lay around five months of age. Visit my website that is linked to the "Chicken Boy" in my signature!
Awww! How adorable! Five months.... Okee-dokee. Thank you. :)

Our Pekins have started laying. Found a single egg out in the open in the yard by the pond. First time duck owners. Our ducks free range. Question is, will they just naturally sit their eggs or should we collect them and get an incubator? How long an an egg sit unattended before it is no longer viable?

Our Pekins have started laying. Found a single egg out in the open in the yard by the pond. First time duck owners. Our ducks free range. Question is, will they just naturally sit their eggs or should we collect them and get an incubator? How long an an egg sit unattended before it is no longer viable?

I have heard Pekins don't hatch eggs well. I started a Pekin club if you are interested in joining other pekin owners on BYC. Maybe some of the other members have a better answer :)
http://backyardchickens.com/t/742668/pekin-duck-club

One of my Old Lady Pekins is my *very best* brooder. She starts sitting after she gets about 8-9 eggs in her nest, then she steals eggs to add to her nest. Last year she sat for 35 straight days when finally I took the non-hatched eggs away from her. She was also an excellent mother to her duckling.

Pekin are not known as a broody breed but you never know. I would advise making a nest for her in a safe, predator proof shelter and putting a fake egg in there to try to encourage her to lay in the same spot. Otherwise, you will having an easter egg hunt every day. I am assuming that you have a drake so the eggs will be fertile. The first eggs layed are typically not fertile as they are usually small. I would collect eggs for a week or so (maybe leaving a few marked in the nest to see if she will brood them) then check them to see if they are fertile and then think about buying an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom