When do ducks stop breeding?

Well that stinks, Ive been to other sites an they have pictures of mallards... I get tired of my drakes chasing after my ducks. I love them all, and have plenty of females, but it seems they only go after certain females.

Guess I shouldnt believe everything I read, but if you type it into google about ducks penises falling off, then more articles will pop up... O well. Now I feel dumb for even asking. Thanks everyone for your input.

My drakes were chasing my girls all over the place. They were beginning to lose a few feathers on their backs after a while. We were going to separate them when it suddenly all stopped. They stopped mating all together. Not had any aggression since. That was sometime in June? (in the UK)

Usually around now the girls stop laying for a few months too. This is the first year of the boys so don't know when/if it will start up again. But definitely something seasonal kicking off for me.

I love them all, and have plenty of females, but it seems they only go after certain females.

There always seems to be a "favorite". I have that problem with my quail. One of my girls is bald!​

They're favorites are my cayuga, a pekin I have named chippy because she has a broken beak..., and One of my khaki females. My favorite one at that. And I hate it when they will all gang up on one female. Especially in the water.

Patricia's work is on the evolution of species separation. Some of the BEST waterfowl work recently). The penis doesn't "drop off" it regresses. THAT does not mean mating behavior stops. Mating behavioor is part of the pair formation process so it will not stop.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom