When do Guinea fowl start to lay eggs?

If they lay eggs in the wet season, how do eggs survive considering they lay them in the bush. Are the eggs waterproof ?

most guineafowls especially the wild guineas mainly breed during the wet season, it is not that their eggs love rain to develop, the female need protein which appears during the wet season. So guineas eggs are very hard shelled and are strong enough to tolerate heavy rainfall, although they may be washed away.

best wishes

If they lay eggs in the wet season, how do eggs survive considering they lay them in the bush. Are the eggs waterproof ?[/quote

(ornitology:1998 present ) I have studied the behavior of wild guineas for years.They mainly breed during the rainy season because of abundant of protein. The protein they eat, also provide a high shell quality based to its habitat. Their eggs are not water proof but have a 4 times 3 hard shell than chicken eggs.but beware that they may be washes away by heavy rainfall but withough any breaking...

best wishes

I am concerned that one of my guineas has been taken by a predator, when they start laying will they disappear and go broody on a nest like a chicken? We have thick woods and lots of small brush. Should I keep looking or assume it's gone? I haven't seen it in 3 days

I am concerned that one of my guineas has been taken by a predator, when they start laying will they disappear and go broody on a nest like a chicken? We have thick woods and lots of small brush. Should I keep looking or assume it's gone? I haven't seen it in 3 days

Yes,if they are not using your nesting boxes chances are good they will find a hole in the ground or some other place to lay, they can lay upwards of 20 eggs in the next before they go broody...

Ok thanks, so I can assume 50% she's been taken or 50% she setting and I'll se here in 25 days! With babies. Ugh I get too attached to these things. Wish I could find it.

Sad update, went on a scouting mission to find her and once I started seeing feathers I knew she was gone. Finally trailed the signs until I found the feather piles. Ugh!

I'm so sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif

I have been raising the guineas since Jun 2015. No eggs in sight. I am getting worried that they will nor lay because they are confined to a 4x8 coop since babies. Any suggestions?

I have been raising the guineas since Jun 2015. No eggs in sight. I am getting worried that they will nor lay because they are confined to a 4x8 coop since babies. Any suggestions?

It partially depends on where you are located. Guineas and turkeys have built in daylight timers and don't normally begin laying until the days are long enough.

Where I am located, my guineas have not started laying yet this spring but should begin soon.

If your guineas are in a dark coop, you might consider adding a large window or a lighting fixture with a daylight bulb in it that you keep on for 14 hours a day.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom