When do Guinea fowl start to lay eggs?

I have heard 16-18 weeks they begin to lay. I have one guinea hen and it took a long time before I discovered she was laying. I had her eggs confused with my regular chicken eggs. I've heard guineas will have triangular shaped eggs but that wasn't the case for me. They were about 2/3rds the size of a chicken egg and the shells were rock hard. I didn't even really notice it until I realized I was getting one egg every few days that was very different feeling than all my other eggs. It was smaller, harder, the yolk to whites ratio was different(more yolk).

Anyways that is just my experience... I am no expert. I hope this kind of helps and doesn't add to the confusion.

They can start laying as soon as 14-15 wks of age, but typically most Guinea Hens will start laying the Spring after they were hatched as soon as the daylight hours start increasing and the temps warm up a little.. Guinea Hens are seasonal layers and they normally only lay Spring thru Fall, but occasionally some first-timer young Hens will lay a few random eggs in the off season too (or in the Fall of the same year they were hatched).

They can start laying as soon as 14-15 wks of age, but typically most Guinea Hens will start laying the Spring after they were hatched as soon as the daylight hours start increasing and the temps warm up a little.. Guinea Hens are seasonal layers and they normally only lay Spring thru Fall, but occasionally some first-timer young Hens will lay a few random eggs in the off season too (or in the Fall of the same year they were hatched).
thanks :) ours are 12 weeks old today so we probally won't get any eggs this fall. but thats ok, it gives us something to look forward to in the spring :)

You will have well tuned, stealthy egg/nest hunting skills by May, mark my words, lol. Can't even tell you how many Hens I have had to literally stalk to find their nesting spots over the years, they are very secretive and sneaky if allowed to lay eggs anywhere but the coop
he.gif
Looks like you guys are about 4 hours away from my area, so start watching for eggs and listening for the egg songs starting in January from your Guinea Hens. 1st week in January is normal for my young Hens. (The older Hens wait until Feb/March)

Hi every one
I have 2 guinea hen's hatched out end of august, so about 16 weeks old, no signs of any eggs as yet, but they have started making lot's of noise, call sounds like come back come back,
they have lovely marking white breasted, black & white speckled wings & backs, lovely birds

Hi
I have some Sky Blue and Buff Guinea. I ordered day old keets came in the second seek of june and they started laying before the New Year. So i would say around Six months old.

Back
Top Bottom