When do I fill in the nest boxes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcamefirst, Jul 13, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    My chicks are 6 weeks and the nest boxes are already a part of the coop. Should I go ahead and add straw to them or is it better to wait until they are closer to 18 weeks? I have heard you put golf balls or something like that into the boxes to help them "decide" where to lay the eggs.....

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would wait until they are appx 17 week old, then add the straw to the nesting boxes, along with some golf balls if you want. If they start sitting in the nesting boxes now, they will like it, and sleep in them, and then start the bad habit of pooping in the nest, which means poopy eggs........I'd leave them empty until later.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I blocked off my nest boxes. My chicks are now 13 wks, I won't open them up until they are around 16 or 17 wks.

4. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Interesting! I didn't even think about the chicks nesting in there and pooping all around! [​IMG] My nest boxes have been set up since I got my coop ready for chickens months ago - it didn't even occur to me not to. Luckily, none of my chicks are even remotely interested in hanging out in them, yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by