When do I give up on Bumblefoot?

klesoine

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
I would just like some feedback from anyone who would like to share their viewpoint about my situation. So my beloved one-of-the-first-I-hatched-her-myself hens has had bumblefoot problems for over a year now. She has been through countless removals of the 'plug', foot soakings, bandages, vet visits, oral and topical antibiotics EXCEPT for Pen G. She is limping again and the swelling is back so I know the infection is in there but it has become hardened. I don't want another $400 surgery and put her through all that but I can't stand the idea of culling her. Do you think injections of Pen G could make a difference at this point? Or am I getting close to animal abuse and I should accept her fate?

I thinks that something in her environment needs to change. Rounded roost bars are usually the cause. Have you changed anything all recently? Try changing the bedding and material she walks in.

I would give her one more chance, bring her inside for a while, clean that wound out and place gnaw on it. Wrap in vet-wrap, allow it heal until its all healed, have the roosts changed and the such before she goes back out.

I would just like some feedback from anyone who would like to share their viewpoint about my situation. So my beloved one-of-the-first-I-hatched-her-myself hens has had bumblefoot problems for over a year now. She has been through countless removals of the 'plug', foot soakings, bandages, vet visits, oral and topical antibiotics EXCEPT for Pen G. She is limping again and the swelling is back so I know the infection is in there but it has become hardened. I don't want another $400 surgery and put her through all that but I can't stand the idea of culling her. Do you think injections of Pen G could make a difference at this point? Or am I getting close to animal abuse and I should accept her fate?
To my knowledge, Pen G is the only antibiotic that will effectively treat staph. ( bumblefoot) It needs to be given IM in the breast.

What are you soaking her foot in? Is this after you have removed the plug? Does she have an abcess on top of her foot as well? I had to cut and drain the bottom and top of my hens foot. I found that most of the infection in my hens foot was on top. Are you getting any kernels out? What are you using to pack her wounds with? I used triple antibiotic ointment without the pain relief in it, but I think Vetericyn VF gel would be better. I agree that a low, flat roost would be best.

Back
Top Bottom