When do I give up on over-due eggs :/

RockinChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Austin/Leander, Tx
ONE peep hatched right on time...now what do i do with the other two eggs still in the bator 3 days over-due?

I am thinking they were at different stages in the nest (all cold except one, that one is not hatched yet either)

oddly enough! the most frozen egg is the one that made it!

When do i give up on them hatching?...before they pop!?

I'd have a quick candle just to make sure theres no movement in them. They could just be late I've had some hatch a week late. If it looks like there is no life I usually pip one to see whats going on just a smallish hole then shine a torch in to see if anything is going on
fl.gif

I would candle them and see if you can tell if they are alive or not. Also, try tapping the shell, sometimes you can hear chirping if they are alive. If you can't tell, then carefully pip a hole in the large end of the egg and peel a little away and you should be able to tell if they are alive still or not. Just peel carefully in case the veins have not fully dried back yet. If you see any blood stop.

awesome...thank you all...

im seeing a dark mass in them but the light is still shining through the egg like there is still lots of liquid in them...

not all solid dark like the one when the chick hatched: with that one, i could see the air bubble and the dark mass of baby bird

these are bright/see through with a small dark mass...i tried smelling them but they smell fine to me????

plus! these are brown eggs and hard to see any veins
sad.png

ok...monday i open them up and see (i hope they dont pop!)

ya...today still no hatched peeps
hmm.png

i'll take them wayyyyy out in the back and feed the ol'Oak Tree
wink.png

Thanks everyone for all your support
smile.png

Next batch to come in a week!

...ps: I carefully opened the eggs tonight....no smell...no peeps....that made me happy!
wink.png
my lil'peep was the lucky one!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom