When do I introduce grit to chicks????

If you want to offer them any treats you will need to provide some kind of grit first. Yesterday I put a small dish of grit (limestone gravel dust that's all over my place) in the brooder with my 2 week olds -- I finally had to take the dish out because they were all eating it like there was no tomorrow. The blackberries they ignored.

McMurray recommends sprinkling on their food like you would salt when they are babies, because as the previous post says, they can fill up on it instead of their food. Grit can be given free choice when they are adults.

Again, they need grit to help them grind up food so if they are only eating ground-up food, it doesn't really matter, but if they are eating anything else, then they need it. Also, it's good for them to get started young so they develop good gizzards.

So, let me get this straight. If I want to give my girls (~2 weeks old Too young?) a little piece of an apricot, or cottage cheese, etc, how to I mix the "grit" with the treat? Or do I just put the grit in their food? i have just a basic chick starter mix going on right now, but I want to start giving treats!

Thanks!

I just sprinkle "grit" on top of the food starting at 3 days or so I get mine out of the wash that runs in front of my house it's coarse sand. I like to feed them small bird seed "finch food" etc the babies love it. When you sprinkle it on the food (chick starter) then I don't worry about what I give them as long as it isn't large pieces...giving them worms is very entertaining...

I just started at about 5 weeks. Very small pebbles.. They'll be headed outside in about a week or so, so I wanted the transition to be a little easier on them. They're doing just fine with it!

I put the grit with their food in their feeder. Mine are 5 weeks old and I feed them meal worms. I also started putting a little grit in a separate bowl in case one is not getting enough. So far...they are doing great!!
1f413.png
1f414.png

So, let me get this straight. If I want to give my girls (~2 weeks old Too young?) a little piece of an apricot, or cottage cheese, etc, how to I mix the "grit" with the treat? Or do I just put the grit in their food? i have just a basic chick starter mix going on right now, but I want to start giving treats!

Thanks!

You don't mix the grit with the food, you just make it available to them. I just dump a handful of sandy clean dirt into the brooder when I start feeding things other than chick starter. My kids started feeding grasshoppers to some chicks the day we got them so they got grit.

I read to give it, and then also that it wasn't needed yet....but yesterday I mixed about one tablespoon into a quart jar of chick starter, just to get them used to it I guess. I bought it anyway when I was not sure about it, so I may as well use a bit here and there. My chicks are about two and 1/2 weeks old.

I read to give it, and then also that it wasn't needed yet....but yesterday I mixed about one tablespoon into a quart jar of chick starter, just to get them used to it I guess. I bought it anyway when I was not sure about it, so I may as well use a bit here and there. My chicks are about two and 1/2 weeks old.
Hi,
No need to mix it with their feed. Do go buy some proper crushed granite chick grit. It is sharper and does a good job. There are 3 sizes of grit.
Starter, Developer and Adult. I get mine at Away where I can buy it buy the pound. A great conveince. Your local feed store will be able to help
you which size you need for your chick's age. No need to spend 10.00 for a 5 lb. bag. I can buy it by the pound or pay 10.00 for 50lbs. at Agway.
You don't need to give grit as long as the only thing you are feeding your chicks is chick feed. There is grit in the chick feed. That said, it doesn't
hurt to put a dish of grit in the brooder. The chicks will eat it as they need it.

Here's the brand I use: Mount Airy Gran-I-Grit And their company info: http://northcarolinagranite.openfos.com/
They have been in the chick grit business since 1937:
http://agriculture.zibb.com/trademark/mount+airy+gran-i-grit+insoluble/29218145
And make 4 types of grit:
http://www.ncgranite.com/crushed-stone-surry-county/cut-stone-mt-airy-nc/gran-i-grit-products.html

Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom