When do I look for eggs

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
So they're about 7 months now? They should already be laying. What are you feeding them, what's the protein content, and are you feeding them crushed oyster shell like you should?

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
Marans are not typically winter layers, according to the breed info and maturity chart I have.

If you put a light in your coop to extend your "daylight" to 14 hours per day, I'll bet you see them start laying within a couple of weeks.

You just have to trick their bodies into thinking it's spring.

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
Actually I don't like to add calcium until they are actually laying. Some do, but I don't want to overload their kidneys.

I would guess that their point of lay time arrived with the cold weather, delaying them until spring. Marans aren't a breed known to really pump out the eggs like a Leghorn would, so it's not surprising to me that they are running a little late. Don't feel too bad; some breeds take longer, and now and then hens don't lay til nearly a year, or even over a year. I imagine as soon as it starts warming a bit, you'll see those combs brighten up and they'll start squatting for you.

You could certainly try the protein and even a little extended daylight if you want, though I'm not sure it would be worth it to go out and buy a light socket and timer this late, as the days are lengthening a fair amount already. If your layer is 14%, IMO, that's a bit skimpy anyway.

doxies1

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
West centeral Maryland
My question was premature. I found three eggs in a nest box this morning so somebody was already laying. I'll check those boxes more closely now. Not as dark as I had hoped but not to bad. I'm going to collect the first week and put them in the bator. Then with bators full, ( gotta finish my200 egg DIY bator). I may try letting the broody silkies do the job. I'll grab babies when they hatch because first week in April can still be really chilly.

doxies1

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
West centeral Maryland
Quote:
I use Dunmore 16% for the most part. Gunieas get 20%. I also use the 20% on they quail and pheasants
I don't add oyster shell at all I let them have free choice. The guineas will leave it alone all winter but as soon as they start laying I have to refill it regularly.

We were all about right on when they would start.

Top Bottom