When do I start coaxing hens to lay in nesting boxes

cowtown chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I live in N.E. Tennessee
I am a new chicken owner, I have 6 pullets, approx. 3 1/2 mos old. They totally ignore the nesting boxes now. Will they eventually go to the boxes when time to start laying, when should I start putting fake eggs in boxes to coax them into the box? They will casually look at the box but dont sleep there. I have straw in the boxes. I also have pine chips throughout the coop.

You can put the egg in now or wait until one lays it on the floor, which it might do either way. You don't need to coax it in. When they start laying, they will figure it out on their own. Doing anything to the next box or trying to get the birds to go into the nest box will not make them lay any faster. I would normally tell you that you shouldn't even have the nest boxes in there yet or close them off if they are permanently installed but if they are not sleeping in it, then no big deal. The odds of them laying any sooner than 18 weeks is slim to none. They probably won't even start that early. Most commonly they will lay between 20 and 24 weeks but some folks have waited much longer than that. Good luck and welcome to the crazy world of chicken keeping!

I have 6 pullets and they free range . I'm concern that they will lay the eggs outside the coop. Will they go inside the coop when is time? They spend most of the time under the deck because its cool in there.

Glad to hear that.yesterday I saw one of my girls squat I got scared thinking she was sick , but she got up and was fine and today a leghorn allow me to pet her and squat while I did . Funny because they r not friendly at all , so think that eggs r coming soo. :)

Glad to hear that.yesterday I saw one of my girls squat I got scared thinking she was sick , but she got up and was fine and today a leghorn allow me to pet her and squat while I did . Funny because they r not friendly at all , so think that eggs r coming soo. :)

Squatting is definitely a sign of her getting ready to lay. Could be another week or two but soon.

Yeah! And today one of my leghorn let me touch her something that never happens and when I did she got down ( squat ) I'm soooo exited cant wait! Thanks

Yeah! And today one of my leghorn let me touch her something that never happens and when I did she got down ( squat ) I'm soooo exited cant wait! Thanks

yeah my chicken would sqat for me too.let me rub her back on Saturday.she gave me small brown egg following Tuesday then another one today.so just keep checking . mine would also get in nesting box and start scratching around.im still waiting on other 4 to start squatting down for me.

Back
Top Bottom