When do I start feeding layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marcy54, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Marcy54

Marcy54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2014
    Shapleigh, ME
    I have nine wyandotte pullets. The lady at the feed store told me to start them on layer feed now. They are supposed to be around 18 or 19 weeks old, I was told they would be laying around the middle of September. I currently have them on grower, but need to buy a new bag in the next day or two, what do you think?

2. hunterhart1113

hunterhart1113 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I would like to know the answer to this because I have been told multiple different things from supposedly chicken savvy people.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I feed layer when they start laying or just before, just depends on when I run out of starter/grower. It's just not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. It's not going to make a difference in your hens laying if they are still on starter/grower for a couple weeks after they start laying or if they are on layer a couple weeks before they start laying. Many people with mixed flocks simply feed an all-flock type feed and offer oyster shell for extra calcium. Same can be applied if you are finishing up a bag of starter/grower when your birds start laying. Just put out the oyster shell and pick up a bag of layer when you finish the starter.

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I just feed grower all the time and add oyster on the side. Gives them a little more protein and they will self regulate on the calcium.

But a couple of weeks one way or the other shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree. After the group starts laying, and you need more feed, get layer. Meanwhile set out oyster shell. Mary

6. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    What if you have 1 that's been laying for 3 weeks and 4 that haven't started and not sure when they will start? I also was told to get them on the layer after I had finished up a bag of grower when mine were 17 weeks so they have all been on layer for 4 weeks already.

7. Marcy54

Marcy54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2014
    Shapleigh, ME
    Okay, so I guess when I run out of the grower in a couple of days, I can just start with the layer. When we got them a couple of weeks ago, my husband went to our local feed store and the girl there sold him 50 lbs of layer. The person I bought the chicks from said she had them on grower and they should start laying in 3-4 weeks, so I should leave them on grower for a couple of more weeks. They have been on grower for two weeks. I was thinking of getting a 25lb bag of grower, but they are pretty big, I would say probably the size of a full grown chicken. So I guess from what you are saying, I can open the 50 lb bag of layer and start feeding them that and they should be fine. I am a newbie, but have been reading a bunch, these will be my first hens. I did chicks a few years ago, but we had to move a few weeks before they were ready to lay and we had to rehome them. I am excited, but nervous about doing things right.
    [​IMG]
    This is the day I got them.

8. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Good job for figuring out how to do it right! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by