When do I start removing feed?

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
My 25 meaties are now 1 week and I was wondering when do I start a feeding schedule? (eat for 12hrs and remove the food for 12 hours) Also I fill the feeder in the morning and by night its getting quite low, should I just keep it topped up or let it run down? Also what age can I let them have full run of the coop? Do I just wait until they out grow the brooder "box"? Last but certainly not least , I have lost one chick, I believe I didn't catch a 'plugged vent' in time, I have since checked everyone and cleaned those that needed yesterday, but I notice a few already have poop on them again. The temp in the brooder runs between 70 and 80, Do I unplug the light during the day? or is there something else I can do?
Thanks

I think you can always leave the feed down? and if pasty butt is a problem use white wood shavings (not cedar/pine its bad for you and the chicks)
smile.png

2 to 3 weeks old you can go to 12 on and 12 off. This will keep them from getting the super wheezing (to an extent), and keep them from getting too big. And yes I said too big. I let my last batch feed 24/7 and they go too big. One of my roos was almost 15 lbs. Too big for me. I like em around 7 lbs maybe 8 lbs.

Hatcheries recommend you go to the 12 on 12 off schedule at three weeks. That's when they really take off growing until their legs won't hold them. A three-week-old Cornish cross is old enough to butcher. Those small Cornish hens in the grocery store are really roosters butchered at 3 weeks.

Quote:
I am in Ontario Canada, although we are official in summer it can drop down to 60 in the evenings.

Quote:
I am in Ontario Canada, although we are official in summer it can drop down to 60 in the evenings.

Depending on where in Ontario, it could get colder than that! LOL A few years ago, I went tent camping the first week of June at Sauble Beach and it snowed. Here in Virginia, we are having cool weather after a heat wave--high 50's at night. Feels good to me, but chilly for baby chicks. Meaties do get their feathers fairly quick, but grow so fast that skin shows between the feathers.

Quote:

Depending on where in Ontario, it could get colder than that! LOL A few years ago, I went tent camping the first week of June at Sauble Beach and it snowed. Here in Virginia, we are having cool weather after a heat wave--high 50's at night. Feels good to me, but chilly for baby chicks. Meaties do get their feathers fairly quick, but grow so fast that skin shows between the feathers.

Thats funny I am an hour south east of Sauble snow in may is rare but happens, the end of June we should be snow free for a few months!

When I went out this morning I lost another chick, that is 2 now. I have spoke with others from my area and they haven't lost any. I go up 4 or 5 times a day, change the water and food daily, heat lamp is now between 70 and 80 everyone seems to be running around during the day, the don't all huddle in a pile or scatter to the sides of the brooder, which leads me to believe they are comfortable. I lay new paper towel down twice a day, (DH thinks this is a bit much and thinks I should change to newspaper) I have had them for one week today and am afraid at this rate I wont have many left at the end. Please tell me if I'm missing something, doing anything wrong? should I add cider vinegar to the water give them a bit of yogurt? They are only babies one week old yesterday. I just feel terrible!

It sounds like you are doing everything as right as you can. I do think the Cornish crosses have a higher mortality rate due to unnatural breeding to grow them so fast. I don't know if you can get the vitamins & electrolytes for chickens in Canada, but giving those to the meaties in their water seems to help them get off to a better start. In the US they sell broiler booster just for the meaties. With the order of meaties I just placed with Meyer Hatchery, I ordered enough Broiler Booster to add to their water up to slaughter.

Back
Top Bottom