when do I switch to adult food??

torrelee

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
long beach, wa
Just curious when I should switch my girls from baby food to something else, and if I go straight from baby food to layer food?? They're between 5 and 7 weeks I think and free ranging with the big girls, but I have their food in a separate brooder pen that they have access to as well. I've attached a couple of pics since I'm not positive on the ages... Thanks!
85560_dscf2050.jpg

85560_dscf2053.jpg

I always wait to right about 5 months old. Some give grower in between, I don't. I would just keep giving them the chick food (non medicated) until 5 months old
big_smile.png
And if they are free ranging they are getting all they need really
smile.png
Sounds like your a good chicken mama
clap.gif

I have read in several magazines, starter for 18-20 weeks till the pullets start to lay, then switch to layer feed. Offer oyster shell also for stronger shells.

The lady I bought them from said that they wyandotte was 5 weeks and the "americauna" was 4 weeks about two weeks ago. I THOUGHT they looked quite a bit older than that, but I havn't raised chickies before. My australorps were right around 5 months when I got them, so I took her word for it, lol.

uh, yeah, there were six in there... It freaked me out for a minute until I realized that my BF had said there weren't eggs in the nest boxes in the house the day before. The big girls got in with the babies and layed in their house. Doofuses! I readjusted the opening so the littles could get out, but the bigs couldnt get in.

Just posted this on a similar thread.

Purina Flock Raiser 20% Protein meant for use with mixed flocks. Turkeys, chickens, ducks, from hatch to plate. If you can get it, it's much cheaper than buying all kinds of different feeds for different ages of birds. I even use it to raise nice fat little quail instead of the higher protein gamebird feed.

The only thing your layers need that no one else needs is calcium. You don't have to give them layer feed to provide that. You can give them crushed oyster shell on the side and they will eat what they need. Which IMOH is better than forcing them to eat it in their rations.

Back
Top Bottom