1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do I switch to adult food??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by torrelee, Jun 7, 2011.

1. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Just curious when I should switch my girls from baby food to something else, and if I go straight from baby food to layer food?? They're between 5 and 7 weeks I think and free ranging with the big girls, but I have their food in a separate brooder pen that they have access to as well. I've attached a couple of pics since I'm not positive on the ages... Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I always wait to right about 5 months old. Some give grower in between, I don't. I would just keep giving them the chick food (non medicated) until 5 months old [​IMG] And if they are free ranging they are getting all they need really [​IMG] Sounds like your a good chicken mama [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Yours look about 3 months??

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Feed them flock Raiser and you don't have to feed them anythingelse. Just offer up your hens some crushed oyoter shell if they want it. It's ALL I use

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have read in several magazines, starter for 18-20 weeks till the pullets start to lay, then switch to layer feed. Offer oyster shell also for stronger shells.

6. torrelee

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    The lady I bought them from said that they wyandotte was 5 weeks and the "americauna" was 4 weeks about two weeks ago. I THOUGHT they looked quite a bit older than that, but I havn't raised chickies before. My australorps were right around 5 months when I got them, so I took her word for it, lol.

7. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Is that an egg in the nest?
    edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. torrelee

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    uh, yeah, there were six in there... It freaked me out for a minute until I realized that my BF had said there weren't eggs in the nest boxes in the house the day before. The big girls got in with the babies and layed in their house. Doofuses! I readjusted the opening so the littles could get out, but the bigs couldnt get in.

9. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I have a question to add to that. If you buy medicated, can you just give your adults that too?

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just posted this on a similar thread.

Purina Flock Raiser 20% Protein meant for use with mixed flocks. Turkeys, chickens, ducks, from hatch to plate. If you can get it, it's much cheaper than buying all kinds of different feeds for different ages of birds. I even use it to raise nice fat little quail instead of the higher protein gamebird feed.

The only thing your layers need that no one else needs is calcium. You don't have to give them layer feed to provide that. You can give them crushed oyster shell on the side and they will eat what they need. Which IMOH is better than forcing them to eat it in their rations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by