When do Muscovy drakes start hissing & huffing

i was feeding some 5 week old ducklings this morning, my dog came up beside me and to my suprise on of the drakelings started hissing at the dog. i was very suprised to hear it that young.

May I ask a question?? My 14 week old Muscovy (I thought was a male) opens his mouth wide when I arrive and wags his tail. But it kinda sounds like a cooing noise…… will it change still? Too early yet for the hiss ?

Ok. I decided to be patient. He’s definitely a boy. Starting to hang out with and bob with the boys. He’s also HUGE to my female Muscovy.

At what age should I clip his wing? He’s just beginning to get a bit off the ground now…..

Also- totally not related. :) we use pipe for their feeder. The tube lasts my 5 ducks 1 week. Every week I pull it apart and thoroughly clean it. I live in BC (humid) near the ocean…. I’ve noticed a few times the past couple weeks in the morn under their feeder some white clumps? I initially thought it was mould growing on the ground?!! What on earth could this be???? It worries me obviously. When I’ve seen it I give the ground a good, hard rake. (Their pen is raked every 3 days in addition to this)
Anyone ever seen some white clumps in the morning under their feeder??? Its so odd. Can’t think of anything else it could be other than mould. …. Wondering what else I can put under their feeder - sand? Mulch?

Back
Top Bottom