When do my Silkie become fluffy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenjerkey, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Chickenjerkey

Chickenjerkey New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Hello,

I'm a total newbe silkie chicken owner. My question is that my silkies are 13 week (black one) and 10 weeks (buff one) and both still have the appearance of having feathers and not pure silkie fluff like the silkie chickens I see online. Do they eventually turn more fluffy looking or it more likely that I don't have pure silkies?

I adore them regardless, but my kids wanted silkies because they look like they have silk fur instead of feathers and mine don't have that appearance/feel and the shafts are still very noticeable in the feathers.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

[​IMG]

2. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Mine have always been Silkie from the start. I would guess that they may not be pure silkies this is a pic of some of mine at 12 weeks[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They should be almost from birth. Either these are poor hatchery grade birds or silkie crosses.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those are definitely mixes.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Silkie mixes.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your birds are silkie mixes. the gene for the pretty silkie feathers is recessive, so once you cross a silkie to a non-silkie, you don't get those soft feathers anymore, sorry. what you see now is what your birds will have. The're sure cute little things, though!

7. Chickenjerkey

Chickenjerkey New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Thank you for all the responses. At least now I know. All good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by