when do peacock get thier tail feathers back?

little blue

Chillin' with my Orps
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Mansfield, CT
when do the male peacock gets his feathers back i want to see him when he has a bigger train we have a silver pied and he is onley 1 year old so he will be 2 in the spring he dose not have a tail yes well a tiny one but i never got to see him fan out.

Last edited:
Mine started getting their trains at 2-3 years. Each year the trains get longer. The train feathers start apearing in the late winter. They keep the feathers until mid July. Then it's a peacock feather explosion in my yard. Long feathers EVERYWHERE.

Most males will not have there full train until about 3 or 4 years now I am talking about 5 and 6 ft tails, a two year old will have a nice train but not as good as the next year train.

Males loose there tails and it is like loosing a tooth it is already coming back in before you loose it.

yes peacocks get the long train at 3 yr old , just a few inchs longer the next year.
Depend on the peacock , some of mine have dropped theirs ,others still have full trains. All mine should have dropped their by end of Aug. start growing new ones fall thru winter. Full trains by end of Feb.

So- if we don't know how old our peacock is, by Feb. we can roughly gauge him by his train- under 3 or over 3 sounds like? I am thinking he looks young- like he is from this spring, so I can't wait to see him go through the winter. Maybe we will start a family pool.

Well if he is from this spring you have two yrs to wait, a male will not be fertile until the age of two some will disagree but I have never found that miracle feed yet
lol.png
. Now real high % Spaldings and your three sub-spices of Greens will take 3 to 4 yrs before they breed.

Back
Top Bottom