When do roos begrin to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stevo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    My ten week old spek sussex was makin the funniest noise this morning. I was ROTF. Sounded more like a roar then a crow. Is he trying to crow allready or was he being stung by a bee? lol

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Sounds like he was trying to crow [​IMG] my earliest crower was 8 weeks old.

3. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My ten week old "I think she is a pullet" started crowing this week! I hear that hens will do that. Here is her picture, do you have a picture of your roo? On anther post, she was voted to look very henish. Does she look like your roo ath this age??

[​IMG]

BYW, Speckled Sussex roos are gorgeous when mature, you are lucky you can have one!

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Carpe DiHen if she/he is ten weeks in that picture I'm voting rooster.

5. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Oh dear [​IMG] Oh well, I do like the SS roos [​IMG] My EE looks like she is a roo too. That's two out of six. Maybe I can keep the SS and find a home for the EE.
    Shucks. [​IMG]

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    in my experience the youngest crow at 6 weeks and the oldest at about 18! we thought the little silkie "pullet" was a she.... now "she's" head rooster!

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My giant cochin roo didn't bother crowing until he was almost a year old. We thought we had the ever sought after silent rooster utnil he fianlly threw back his head and roared one out.

8. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I have silkie's and mine crowed at 10 weeks

9. BayChicks

BayChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    We have this little splash silkie guy that was still in the brooder box in the house - I was sitting at the pc and heard this strange noise - looked behind me - yep! The little guy was crowing and continued to do so on a regular basis until we moved him outside. It kept us entertained - little scratchy chickie crow. NEVER had one crow that young - not even 4 weeks old yet. I'm still stunned!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by