1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

when do roos start to crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaylakian, May 14, 2010.

1. kaylakian

kaylakian In the Brooder

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    this may seem a stupid question but i keep seeing the best way to sex a roo is to wait until they crow but at what age do they start to do this

2. goldenchic

goldenchic Songster

Nov 7, 2009
    my roo started crowing at 6 months he was the same breed as my hens but you could tell he was a roo his colours were darker

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Honestly, they crow when they want to. I had one crow at 6 weeks, 1 at 9 weeks, 1 at 14 weeks, 1 at 12 weeks and 1 not until 16 weeks old. I have heard of them starting to try as early as a week.

It is a patethic sounds when they first start and you will not recognize it as a crow...watch for the neck stretching and vocalizing.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    My Barred Rock has been making some weird Prrr sound its a mix between a chirp and a prrrrrr its really strange sounding. He is 5 weeks old now.

5. kaylakian

kaylakian In the Brooder

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    [​IMG] thanks for that my chick who is nearly 6 weeks and whom i think is roo was makeing some weird noise last night thought he was ill but checked him over and he was ok so maybe its the same he is a welsummer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: