When do runner ducks get full size?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Nov 17, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I can't find it anywhere and I'm awfully curious.

Also. Can someone explain molting to me? My ducklings are about halfway feathered and they are getting gorgeous colors, but are they going to lose those colors when they molt? Will the get them back? How does this work?

2. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I don't think you question about size maturity has one simple answer. While a duck is sexually mature at 20-24 weeks, the body is still physically developing. The environment and diet that a duck receives will factor into how quickly a duck matures; confined or free-range will be another factor.

When a duck, or any bird for that matter, moults they replace their feathers gradually. You'll start to find feathers about but shouldn't see bald patches on the bird as moulting is a gradual process. The color and color pattern is not changed during the moulting process, just the replacement of old feathers with new. Increasing protein during a moult is beneficial as feathers rely heavily on protein for proper development.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    with my runners, they were fully feathered by 8 weeks, layed aggs around 5 months, and were fully "filled out" by 4-5 months as well. from 8-12 weeks they looked a bit scruffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by