1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Silkies go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Girl, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I think mine just started laying. So when will she!!!!????!!!??? She is about 6 all most 7 months. I cant wait! But she is so small it looks like she can have only like 3 eggs under her! lol SO when did yours start?

Chicken Girl

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Do not look at them wrong! Mine will go at the drop of a hat. It seems they will lay half a dozen and then go again.
    My issue is keeping them from going broody.
    Good luck with what you want though.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    when you dont want them too -like me!!!

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my girl does it randomly. she seems happy at this second with all her broodiness bc my other hens are laying eggs in the nesting box she likes so she can lay on the eggs. they are not helping the issue lol. i need to get a pic of my little silkie sitting practically under one of my standard hens who is laying, pretty funny.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Each of mine would lay for about 4-6 weeks, then go broody. I would have 1-2 broody in the wintertime, but once spring hit - I'd have almost all 10 broody at once!

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I would say, when do they not go broody. I have 4 mature hens and one of them is always broody. My blue girl Cleo is almost always broody. In fact last week, I gave her 5 eggs to sit on because she would not stop. I figured if you can not beat her, join her. Give her what she wants.

2 people like this.
  7. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Once mine start laying, they are subject to becoming broody at any time...they will happily sit on just one egg, or if they are really stubborn like some of mine are, they will just sit on nothing at all if you keep taking the eggs away! [​IMG]

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    if you want your silkie to go broody then... waqit until she has laid (however many u want) of good fertilized eggs. Then when u get all the eggs you want her to sit on, put some fake eggs in the nest box, then she will mostt likely go broody. when she is getting up for a drink or something to eat, swap the eggs with the real fertilized eggs. Good Luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    I have one that has never gone broody yet. But, she snatches any babies in the coop. I have even brought her inside and placed her with incubated chicks that were a few weeks old when a heat lamp went out unexpectedly. She took right to them and is a great mom for emergency situations. She has NEVER laid any eggs and will not let any roosters mate her either [​IMG] She's an oddball, but she's worth her weight in gold to me since she will adopt any chick small enough to fit underneath her, and mother them far longer than any of my other hens would consider caring for them. Silkies are eccentric......

1 person likes this.
  10. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks guys! I cant wait! lol Do they protect the babys well? And the big JG have not got on her as far as i know. And about how meny eggs can you get under them?

Chicken Girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by