When do they crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Reinbeau, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

My Buff Orpington rooster is 11 weeks old. When will he get noisy? I haven't heard him make any sounds like a rooster. Could he possibly be a quiet thing I can actually keep? Nah, I know, no such luck. But when should a rooster start to sound like a rooster?

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    He's still a little guy... BO hens start laying about 20 weeks, so I would guess roos mature somewhere around that time, too.

3. maine egg man

maine egg man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    maine
    my roo is 15 weeks and he just started crowing
    now I can't get him to stop ,

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It depends on the breed alot too! Brahmas prolly won't crow til they are 6 months old.

bigzio

5. Mrs. Chicken

Mrs. Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    My smaller (whatever he is) rooster crows 24/7. He alerts me when someone or something is in the backyard, including my husband. We have a white leghorn and have had them since April 08 but he has not started crowing and recently started clucking.
    I guess the smaller rooster is crowing enough for everyone.:eek:

6. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG] Of course we all know that each rooster is individual (lol) but our BO's were 3 months yesterday and 2 of them have been crowing for about two weeks now. It is not the loud COCK A DOODLE DOO I expected. It is more like oodl oodl ooo. And very tentative. I think my husband threatened them when I wasnt around. Now they are keeping it on the down low. We really have to strain to hear them. Be patient it will come.

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Oh, I don't want it to come, because he'll have to go when/if (note I put when first) he gets noisy. So I guess he's got a few more weeks left to live!

8. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG] I really feel bad for the people who have such yucky neighbors, or who have to live so close to other people. Too bad you cant keep the rooster. Our BO ROO, now he only has been crowing in the am and only 5-6 times. UNTIL yesterday when my hubby and I were playing with the chickens and I was making noises at them when Roo let out the crow we have been hearing. I was stunned, I did not think it was MY rooster crowing. But we had fun with it and I looked at my husband and told him.....YOU are not killing my Roo. we havent heard him crow since. He is smart, that chicken, LOL.

9. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    My Lakenvelder cockerel started crowing at 8 weeks. One of my Red Cap cockerels at 10 weeks. None of my cochin or modern game cockerels has crowed yet (12 weeks old).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by