When do they die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, Apr 28, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I bought a new incubator a Hovabator 2362N. My eggs are day 14. The temp stayed exactly at 100 for the first 5 days, now it seems almost every other day it needs to be turned down, I check it about 4-5 times a day and like I mentioned it seems every other day it is spiking to 102. I never know how long it has stayed at that temp. So I turn it down and it stabilizes again at 100 until it spikes again. When I candle they all seem fine.
    So my question is how long after a temp spike do you expect them to die?
    Is this something that could effect them at any point? For example, If they are moving and seem fine now after my temp spike 2 days ago are they going to be fine( assuming nothing else happens) from that spike or could it effect them later on during incubation?
    I just always feel relieved that I can still see them moving a few days later, then I had a thought that maybe it might not harm them right away but could have a residual effect.

Anybody know this answer?

Thanks

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    102 will not kill them. It will accelerate growth, but it won't kill them. 108 and higher will kill them. Maybe 20 minutes max in that temperature would kill them? i'm not sure.

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Spikes of 102 shouldn't harm the eggs development at all. Just keep doing what you are doing and all should turn out fine! They might hatch a bit early(day or so) at those higher temps but don't sweat it if 102 is your top readings. Over 103-104 for extended periods can be a problem though! good luck on your hatch!!![​IMG]

4. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Okay, thanks I feel better about them now.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I had a temp spike of 112 and mine are hatching now! I have 4 already and they all seem healthy.

6. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Congratulations! I hope I get to your point but the more I read the less likely it seems, apparently Muscovies are hard to hatch some say almost impossible in an incubator. Oh well. Best of luck on the ones left to hatch and be sure to post pics!

7. tweedle dee

tweedle dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Northeastern, NC
    It seems to be I have to routinely turn down the older the eggs get. I think they start generating some of their own bodyheat.

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Yes, thats exactly whats happening. the chicks are producing their own heat. From now on the temps may creep up a small amount until hatch. Do you have alot of eggs in there?

9. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    If you are hatching muscovies, remember they take longer to hatch. 35 days if I remember right. I hatched out a lot of them when I was first learning and they hatched real well. I misted them every day and a lot when they were close to hatch. Some people say to let them cool down every day for a few minutes. Take them out of the incubator and leave them for 15 minutes or so. That would mimic the hens routine.. She gets off of the nest to eat and drink, takes a bath, goes back with wet feathers.

I used a still air little giant at that time and the duck and goose eggs hatched well.

When you get the temp set, do you tighten the nut on the turner? That seems to help keep it stable on my 2362.

Good luck with your hatch.

10. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Yes I do have quite a few in there. 18 muscovy, 8 mallard and 8 silkie. I knew that they would start producing there own heat but I thought it would be later( I heard 2/3 of the way through hatch, I am just over 1/3 of the way.)
    Yes I do tighten the nut back up, I guess I will just have to keep checking and turning it down periodically when it spikes.
    Thanks for the advice guys, it truly is appreciated! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by