When do they get grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by annaraven, Nov 16, 2010.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Okay - when do I start giving them grit? They're eating chick starter now and are about 12 days old...

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    im not sure when they should get grit but mine are 9 wks old & i give them fine sand to help break up the food. im thinking ( & tell me if im wrong ) i should give them grit from 15 weeks onwards.

3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    depending on your feed it might have grit in it.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As soon as you give something that they need grit to grind up. Mine are hen raised outdoors so need some sort of grit from the beginning, though I trust they get what they need at that size from the sand in the soil. I can buy "chick" and "chicken" grit, the former being smaller and for younger chicks. If yours are in a house brooder and get only chick feed and a few soft treats, they don't need it now, as there is a bit of grit in chick feed.

5. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I am raising mine outside; since about 45 minutes after I got home with them (hatchery), they have been outside in their brooder. I have been giving them "chick grit" since the second day I have jade them (4~5 days old at that point. They eat grass, weeds, bugs, worms, you name it ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by