When do they start crowing???

HenMamma

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Emmet TWP, MI
My White Rock Roo is 12 weeks now, but no crow. I also have an EE roo and a banty roo that is 8 weeks with no crow. None of them even act interested. How long does it usually take? Maybe I am just too anxious.

Anywhere from 2 weeks to 16 weeks, or later. I have two cockerels. One started trying to crow when he was about 9 weeks old. Now at 12 1/2 weeks old it sounds like a real cockledoodledo. My other roo hasn't even tried.

I have 4 RIR roos (don't ask.....) One started crowing last week. He sounds soooo funny. Sounds like he is saying "I'm the king!" Not the cock-a-doodle-doo of a typical chicken. Oh well it is cute and maybe he will develop more as he gets older. They are 14 weeks now.

My roo crowed for the first time this morning (8 weeks old). It was somewhat alarming until I realized what it was. I was hoping he wouldn't learn! You are lucky so far...

My Gray Silver Dorking started *trying* to crow at around 4 and 1/2 weeks- going through the gestures with no sound at all. His first real crow came on the day he turned 6 weeks old. At just over 7 weeks, my Phoenix cockerel isn't even trying yet. And the Dorking's is still developing and changing.

A few on BYC say they have had chicks under a week old that started to crow! But it seems most are around 5 months old before they start. I read that someone said about the time hens start laying, the roosters start crowing.

Back
Top Bottom