When do they start crowing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenMamma, Jul 6, 2008.

1. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    My White Rock Roo is 12 weeks now, but no crow. I also have an EE roo and a banty roo that is 8 weeks with no crow. None of them even act interested. How long does it usually take? Maybe I am just too anxious.

2. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    mine started TRYING at week 9 but did not wake me up or sounds like one until week 12, i don;t know.sorry

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Anywhere from 2 weeks to 16 weeks, or later. I have two cockerels. One started trying to crow when he was about 9 weeks old. Now at 12 1/2 weeks old it sounds like a real cockledoodledo. My other roo hasn't even tried.

4. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    I have 4 RIR roos (don't ask.....) One started crowing last week. He sounds soooo funny. Sounds like he is saying "I'm the king!" Not the cock-a-doodle-doo of a typical chicken. Oh well it is cute and maybe he will develop more as he gets older. They are 14 weeks now.

5. KPort Chick

KPort Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Maine
    My roo crowed for the first time this morning (8 weeks old). It was somewhat alarming until I realized what it was. I was hoping he wouldn't learn! You are lucky so far...

6. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    mine doesn't crow at all and he has to be 5 mos. by now. i was wondering the same thing.

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My Gray Silver Dorking started *trying* to crow at around 4 and 1/2 weeks- going through the gestures with no sound at all. His first real crow came on the day he turned 6 weeks old. At just over 7 weeks, my Phoenix cockerel isn't even trying yet. And the Dorking's is still developing and changing.

A few on BYC say they have had chicks under a week old that started to crow! But it seems most are around 5 months old before they start. I read that someone said about the time hens start laying, the roosters start crowing.

8. Foghorn Rock

Foghorn Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    My white leghorn roos started at about 9 weeks .does sound funny still though,kinda screechy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by