when do they start growing feathers?

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
I'll be getting 3 ameraucana chicks soon, and the person I'm getting them from says they are just getting their feathers. She guessed that they were about a month old. Would this be correct?

Mine are all 12-16 days old and have already started 'sprouting' feathers. When they flap their wings really hard, the chick down goes flying.

I hatched some chicks last week and they were growing feathers from the word go. Mine are a week old now and they all have good wing feathers and some have tail feathers even!

Every chick I've raised from meaties to bantams to large fowl (variety of breeds) begins feathering at 2-3 days old...as a matter of fact I now have 21 chicks now that are at the three week mark, including 5 Ameraucanas, who all began losing their baby fluff at 3 days. Can't imagine why she'd tell you they were that old...odd!
(Tried to upload photo I took yesterday of one of my Ameraucanas..too big 15+megapixels..can't figure out how to resize, and I'm tired!)

Perhaps she means they will be 2-3 days old...that is when they start to get noticeable wing feathers

Or maybe she means they will be like a few weeks old and have most of their feathers...

I'm thinking she meant that they have most of their feathers. I sure hope so, I'm getting them this weekend!
woot.gif

DelcoChix, I'd love to see a pic if you get it figured out.

Here are some chicks that hatched on the 11th....

Here are some that are 6 weeks old..

I'm thinking she meant that they have most of their feathers. I sure hope so, I'm getting them this weekend!
woot.gif

DelcoChix, I'd love to see a pic if you get it figured out.
Hi lablover!
Here's one of my Ameraucanas...hoping she is a 'she'...and an Ameraucana (supposed to be according to the breeder/hatchery!)...this is at 3 weeks exactly!

Back
Top Bottom