when do we take the chicks from mom and move them to the broder

bella1210

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
ct
our mama was sitting on eggs and the first one came yesterday and the last one came last night at what time should we take them from mama and put them in the broder and let her back with the chickens will this make her not be broody anymore this is her second time haching eggs all of the chickens are under her they are not walking around the cage we have them in yet but once in a while they will come out and walk around mama and go in the other side

Why can't she raise them. Its easier for her to do it and it is still warm enough for her raise them.

she would have to raise them in the coop with all the other chickens about 20 of them causes alot of fighting an me an my sister love to raise them an keep all the chicks very friendly.all our chickens are very nice but the mama goes after everyone when she has little ones around an we would not beable to give them med chick starter if they were in the coop all the other chickens would eat it.we will but them out there around 6 weeks or so.

You can take the chicks at any time. But, then, you will have to keep them separate from your other chickens until they are about adult sized which will be in about 16 weeks. Any smaller/younger than that, the chicks may be injured or killed.
Dale-Ann

we can put 6-8 week old chicks in with our flock with no problem.they are all very friendly as long as we put them it at dusk they dont even care.we put little quail in there pen for a few days while i built his pen an they checked him out for about 10 mins then did not even care.we have the chicks in a brooder now momma was not happy still looking for them back in the pen
hit.gif
hit.gif
poor little chicken hope she feels better in a few days.

I would just separate mom and chicks from the flock, if you have the room. Chicks do so much better with their natural mom than otherwise. No pasty butt, no piling for warmth....just good Mommy love.

Taking the chicks from a mom is kind of sad if its just because you want to be able to pet them.

it is not just to pet them the last chicks she had in the pen caused her to be very aggresive towards the other birds an she would not let anyone go in the coop to roost.i also checked an mortality rate is better in brooders then with mommy outside thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom