When do you decide to integrate?

I have not had chicks for nearly 40 years...but I was totally without chickens for about 35 years.
Anyhow, since I have ventured into the chicken habit again, I have always gotten adult birds from people who did not want them anymore. So when I get a new bird or to I put them in a wire dog crate for a few days, and set the dog crate under the coop (coop is elevated on posts). This provides shelter from rain and shade when the sun is too hot. It also provides interaction with the existing (free range) flock at least in the morning and evening when they are going from and coming to the coop, and often other times during the day as well.
Depending on how they appear to be getting along I keep them in the crate for 3 days to a week - I have never had to have them in a crate more than a week before integrating them.

This also worked to teach them where "home" is! When I got my first 4 birds and let them out they ran off - looking for their previous home 30 miles away or something, I dunno . . . but I had to retrieve them from the neighbors, from the church up the road, etc. and keep bringing them back. Finally I put them in these crates for a week. Then locked them in the coop for a few days. When I finally let them out they have stayd close ever since. :wee

The biggest drawback to all this is cleaning the crates once the birds have been integrated!:sick

I had 43 Rhode Island Red hens. They were 8 months old when I got 52 new chicks. I built the brooder in the coop. They were completely walled off for the first month. After that the chicks were in the brooder, but separated from the rest of the coop with chicken wire. After 6.5 weeks the chicken wire came down. For the first week the chicks stayed in the coop and didn't venture out- except in ones and twos. By 8 weeks everybody was rushing out into the yard, when I opened the door in the morning, but they tend to stick to their age groups. I plan on doing basically the same thing next year.
I've noticed the same thing with the four hens I got. The older two tend to stay near each other. The majority of the flock are from the hatching eggs last August. The majority of the flock so solo often and group at times. Then the four new ones are about five months and they like to perch on cages and patio furniture together. Occasionally one will venture into a group of older ones for whatever reason. Sometimes an older one will punch them away, but they seem to be getting used to each other.

A lot depends on your space, and your set up. If you have sufficient space, and hide outs in your set up, multiple levels in your set up, multiple feed bowls, then you can have more kinds of chickens. If you want to wait until you start loosing your red productions birds, that is fine.

Beware of assigning an attitude to a breed, some are and some are not of pretty much any breed.

I completely agree with the attitude towards a breed! While trying to integrate my chicks to the flock, my bantam cochin hens killed a 6 week old Ameracauna chick. Everyone says how sweet and lovable they are I on the other hand can not agree with that statement! My reds on the other hand are my favorite! They are vocal, follow me everywhere, and always keep me company while I work in the yard!

Moved all 8 of my older chicks ( 4-6+ weeks ) into the juvenile area of the Chook Cave.

This morning I picked up 3 Black Marans pullets from feed store...they are about a week old. Right now they are in the baby pool corral in the house.

When could I integrate them with the other chicks ?

I have never had an issue with introducing new birds (chicks or other old hens) to my existing flock. I've done that over 5 times now. What I do is keep them separated (but still visible to each other) for a few weeks. They get to determine some pecking orders through the chicken wire without being able to seriously injure anyone. Once they can pass by each other and not peck or act aggressive (about 1-2 weeks after first introduction), I then put them all in the same coop for bedtime. The next morning, I make sure I let them out very early to watch how they interact when they leave the coop as one flock. My birds free-range and they do tend to separate themselves - one flock of the main hens, and one flock of the new hens. Over time they learn to roam together as one big flock. I hope that helps!

This is my experience also.

Moved all 8 of my older chicks ( 4-6+ weeks ) into the juvenile area of the Chook Cave.

This morning I picked up 3 Black Marans pullets from feed store...they are about a week old. Right now they are in the baby pool corral in the house.

When could I integrate them with the other chicks ?

I wouldn't. I would add the first batch to your flock (if you have existing adult birds) when they are about the same size as your adults. Then do the same with the Marans when they're the same size.
IF these are your first birds, put them together when they are all the same size. If you put the littles with the bigs, they will typically peck and injure them.

I brood outdoors from the start. The chicks have a wire enclosure in the run and the adults can see them at all times. I hang the feeders side by side with just the wire of the brooder between them so they eat side-by-side peacefully. There are portal doors in the brooder pen.

I have mingling under supervision starting at 3 weeks and by 4 weeks old the chicks are fully integrated with the adults and the brooder is completely removed. Every batch, every time.

Last edited:
I am still developing a routine, but it is becoming similar to Blooie’s. I keep mine inside for about a week, then they go into the outdoor brooder in the run. At about three weeks, I open the doors and let them explore in and out on their own. By the time the next set needs the brooder, the older set is 4-5 weeks old and only using the brooder out of habit. I purposely lock them in the coop for their first night and don’t allow them back in the brooder. After the first night and morning when they realize they are no longer the littlest babies anymore, they begin finding their own hiding places when they need them. Most of the adults are great, though, and ignore or are only mildly curious about the chicks when they emerge. The lowest ranking chase them some, but no harm is done.
7A23FBAB-2BC6-4A27-BCEE-BF1C3E905EBC.jpeg
These chicks are 25 days old. This is their second outing, taken just now.

Last edited:
Blooie's method is good. My set up is similar. The baby chicks are in an open wire enclosure that can protect them from predators. The adults come by to check them out, but can't reach them. Some of my hens will not attack the chicks, but some will. So only the peaceful hens are allowed to mingle with the chicks. This you would have to determine with each hen. I'm all for the chickens of all ages to be one big family, but some hens can't be trusted. My rooster does not seem to show any interest in his babies.

It could well be that I’ve been lucky to some degree. One hen got a couple raps on her persistent noggin with the first and second batches of chicks, but none of the subsequent ones. Supervision is absolutely key, and knowing your birds, as you said. And not to expect any pecks along the way is unrealistic. But around here it’s been just chicks needing to learn their place and adults gently teaching them that place, so nothing serious. I’d be a fool not to acknowledge it, though! :old

Back
Top Bottom