When do you placew eggs in incubator once layed??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Millseys, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Millseys

Millseys New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Hi,
    Was wondering if someone can tell me when should I put the eggs in an incubator once the chooks have layed them.
    I have isa browns and 2 random ones that all lay. as well as a rooster.
    I want to try incubating some of the eggs so the kids can watch how it all works.
    I have let one of my chooks lay and she hatched them herself but like asked,
    I want to incubate them to hatch. So what I need to know is do I put them in incubator the day they are layed???
    Thanks ahead for all the help.
    Belinda

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    You can or you can collect them for a few days until you have enough to fill the bator.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

It is best to set the eggs a day or 2 after they've been laid. This rest period before incubation allows the carbon dioxide to be released from the egg, which increases the albumen pH, which in turn optimises early embryo development. But don't store them too long as each day of storage before day 7 reduces the egg's hatchability by 0.2% and after day 7 this increases to 0.5%. When you collect eggs for hatching select only clean ones with undamaged shells. Do not wash the eggs as this removes the protective "bloom" from the shell. The bloom keeps bacteria out. Store the eggs upright (fat end up) or on their sides and turn them as you would during incubation, minimum twice a day. This helps keep the yolk centred.

Best of luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by