when do you replace an alpha rooster?

hit.gif
oohh Gonda

I have followed this thread as I will be in the same situation with several adult roos eventually and was reading advice of more experienced chicken folks than me. I am sad to hear about your flock.. you need to get that brave little survivor some hens of his own.

Keep us posted

Shelly

Quote:
The little survivor is looking less feisty this morning. He's not reacting to handling now, though he did stand for a minute on both legs when I lifted him up, which is more than he did last night. But he seems to be loosing energy and interest in food. I'm not feeling too optimistic. And this makes me only more angry and sad. After fighting the elements for the last few months, dealing with rats, going to a fair bit of expense to fix up the run to keep predators from jumping in over the top, after we lost two baby chicks, I was looking forward to spring and summer when the chickens can be out every day (in the covered run) and everything gets easier and more fun. Now, in one day, it's all over and I'm going into spring with an empty henhouse and no rooster to greet me in the morning.

general rule for most livestock. (atleast for large animals) is every 2 generations. breed 2 un-related animals then the same (lets say cows) bull can breed the his heifer calves. then you replace the bull with another unrelated bull before that generation is ready to breed. (any more than that and inbreeding becomes a problem. excessive aggression, harmful mutation [extra legs, ect], low intelligence, still birth, ect. ) i would think it is about the same for roos. unless you only want eggs for eating. then none of your flock is related or very few. so no need to replace the alpha.

Quote:
Sorry, I guess you didn't realize that there was a new development in this conversation. The alpha rooster, along with 11 hens, were killed by a dog yesterday. And I had sold the two young roosters a month ago when I started this discussion. I have one rooster left now, the only survivor of yesterday's onslaught, and he's getting some special vet and nursing care and it remains to be seen if he survives. I'll give it a good go.

hit.gif
So Sorry about your flock.

We lost all but one of our flock this winter due to an ermine attack. Doris is the only one left. She seems to have adjusted well. She has been the only chicken for one month now.

Hope your roo makes it.

Even with only one bird, it is a joy to go to the barn and clean, water and feed her and watch her. We are still heartbroken over our other birds (who used to come when we called them and let the kids put them on their laps), but we have ordered chicks for the spring.

We will pray for your roo.

Happy country hen(s)

Aw. My Alfa Roo, Hoss... Pretty sure he is shooting blanks... Oh well, he was my first baby and I will keep him forever. I will raise other Roos for breeding, but IF they can not be nice to Hoss, no matter how much I love them, they must go. Hoss was my baby first and I promised him a safe happy home for life.

Quote:
Sorry, I guess you didn't realize that there was a new development in this conversation. The alpha rooster, along with 11 hens, were killed by a dog yesterday. And I had sold the two young roosters a month ago when I started this discussion. I have one rooster left now, the only survivor of yesterday's onslaught, and he's getting some special vet and nursing care and it remains to be seen if he survives. I'll give it a good go.

sorry for your loss i just read the title and first few posts. hope the survivor makes it.

The survivor (my beautiful cochin rooster) didn't make it. He died this morning.

Back
Top Bottom