When do you stop hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by drmeyes236, Aug 31, 2009.

1. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    Winter is on the way here in Ohio and I am wondering when to stop hatching. My son's friend that I hatch for is worried it will be too cold to put babies out in the barn. So when do I stop? We can't have chickens living in the house all winter [​IMG]

2. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    We have a heat lamp in the coop in a special baby section that we put the juvies into at around 3 weeks. At this age we feel that they are well enough feathered that they can start to moderate their own body temps. there is a remote thermometer that tells us in the house what the temp is so that we know that the babies are not too cold. we set a date of oct. 31 for the latest we would want to put babies out there so 21 days before that is our last hatch date oct 10.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I stop when my DH makes me....usually after he gets the bank statements and sees how much $$ I am forking out on eggs to hatch [​IMG]

My bator has been off for about 3 months now...I have the itch and want to hatch more!!!!!!

Winter is fine for hatching chicks. I do it all the time. Mine live outside...never let them inside. If with a moma hen, I don't worry at all but if they were incubated chicks, I make sure they have aheat lamp to get under if they want to.

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Stop Hatching !!!!!![​IMG] We are suppose to stop !![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by