When do you stop hatching?

drmeyes236

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
ohio
Winter is on the way here in Ohio and I am wondering when to stop hatching. My son's friend that I hatch for is worried it will be too cold to put babies out in the barn. So when do I stop? We can't have chickens living in the house all winter
idunno.gif

We have a heat lamp in the coop in a special baby section that we put the juvies into at around 3 weeks. At this age we feel that they are well enough feathered that they can start to moderate their own body temps. there is a remote thermometer that tells us in the house what the temp is so that we know that the babies are not too cold. we set a date of oct. 31 for the latest we would want to put babies out there so 21 days before that is our last hatch date oct 10.

I stop when my DH makes me....usually after he gets the bank statements and sees how much $$ I am forking out on eggs to hatch
tongue.png

My bator has been off for about 3 months now...I have the itch and want to hatch more!!!!!!

Winter is fine for hatching chicks. I do it all the time. Mine live outside...never let them inside. If with a moma hen, I don't worry at all but if they were incubated chicks, I make sure they have aheat lamp to get under if they want to.

Back
Top Bottom