When do you stop?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mayberrygirl, Sep 29, 2012.

1. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    October Is knocking, how long do you hatch? Do you hatch year round or stop for the winter?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I don't generally stop for winter, but as a rule I can only hatch a few times a year. More if the hens don't go broody.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I usually stop in September and then start again in March, but I don't think that's going to happen this year. I have three clutches of eggs in incubators now that are due to hatch in early October, so not slowing down anytime soon :lol:

4. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    This is our first time hatching our own. We had to quit for winter because hatcheries didn't ship. Now I can time my replacement/for-sale pullets how I want. My baby coop is great in winter, fully insulated and low cost to heat & light.

5. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I'm definitely not stopping just yet. I have a shipment of RIR eggs coming in the next week or so. I'm excited since this is my first time with shipped eggs.

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

"stop hatching" - please define? [​IMG]

7. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    To pause hatching and go through withdrawals untill you can take it no more and spend way too much on buying enough eggs to overflow your incubator...

I want to keep hatching but I have nowhere to put anymore chicks, and am afraid I will have no one to sell them to.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :yuckyuck So true!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by