When do you take your chicks from inside to outside?

debakadeb

Songster
14 Years
Apr 8, 2008
SW Indiana
How old are your chicks when they graduate to the chicken coop versus the brooder box? Do you initially take the brooder box out to the coop? We haven't built our coop yet but when looking at the pictures that others have posted, it makes me wonder when I will need to put them outside. Right now they are in a 49 gal tote that is 15.5"H x 38"W x 24"D.

They started jumping out of my brooder at about 3 weeks......I covered it for another week......at 4 weeks they are in coop , with heat lamp.........

I put mine out at 4.5 weeks with a heat lamp and since the temps are more mild, I switched to a 100 watt light bulb. They are five weeks now and doing very well. I do block the large window when it's windy out and keep them in the small temporary coop if it's at all chilly. The last few days have been so nice so I let them into a small run I made for them. When they are a little bigger they will go in the full size run with my other girls. I just want to make sure they are big enough to hold their own first before I let them all meet face to face without chicken wire to seperate them.

We have five hens and they have been in the coop for about a week. They are now 7 weeks old. They have adjusted wonderfully. They are roosting at night and eating well.

Quote:
I did the same at 4 weeks. They seem to love the additional room and are adjusting to the temperature. I keep the heat lamp on only at night, so far so good.

That's good to know. These are my first chicks so only have to worry about them getting along with each other. It should be fairly warm in 3 weeks (southern Indiana). They will still need a heat lamp but shouldn't be much different than it is right now.

GainsevilleChickenLover, are you in gainesville ga or gainesville fla.Just wondered because our black australorps are 4 weeks old tomorrow and we were discussing putting them out this week but then wham here come this cold weather here in ga so i guess we will wait another day or two untill it warms up again,

Mine have been outside now for a week and they will be 3 weeks old on tuesday. I put a heat lamp outside tonight since it suppose to get cooler. They have done great I normally move them out early to give them more room.

Mine have been outside since day one. They are in their large brooder inside their temporary coop. They have two heat lamps over their brooder and the shed has supplemental heat. So far they are doing great and they stay out away from the heat lamps most all the time. We are keeping the shed temp at about 85 and it's closer to 90 under the lamps.

Back
Top Bottom