When do your roos crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kindir, Jun 10, 2010.

1. embkm

embkm Songster

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    My big EE roo crows when there are things going on... at sun up, when we are in the yard, when we get a visitor, when I come home from work (just me.. he knows the sound of my van vs DH's car and doesn't crow for the car.) In the winter, he used to crow when I turned the kitchen light on when I got up to get the girls up for school. And occasionally he will get into a crowing contest with another roo that lives who knows where, but it is a good distance away. Thankfully, he ignores the little banty roos.

The little banty roos are only 16 weeks old. I have about a dozen little guys but only 2 crow. One crows VERY rarely, but the alpha banty roo crows ALL DAY LONG! For no reason other than to hear his own funny little crow. Hopefully he will outgrow this phase soon, or he will be finding a new home. I think his crow is funny, but my neighbors probably dont think so.

Mine are quiet at night though.. the only time the big roo ever crowed at night was during one really bad storm that had tons of lightning and thunder.

2. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    One of our young EE roos started crowing several weeks ago. He has been starting around 6, but this morning I heard him before 6. I think it is because I hadn't gotten up earlier to turn the porch light off. Usually if I turn that off the crowing subsides for a little while. But now the other little roo is starting and they seem to feed off each other. It's a crowing contest. lo.

3. kano

kano Songster

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    They crow when they see a ligth (during darkness). During the day, if they listen another roo crowing in the neigbourhood. And when they feel like....

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have 9 roos,3 toms, & 1 pheasant cock, so I hardly ever NOT hear something.

5. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    My SLW Roo crows all day long. He quiets down by nighty night time. Sometimes he's quiet when he has all his girls together relaxing somewhere, but when they are free ranging he makes his presence known!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: