1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when does normal size eggs start

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by junglejim1, Oct 8, 2009.

1. junglejim1

junglejim1 New Egg

Jun 18, 2009
    I am new to the chicken thing, but does anyone know when layers began to lay a consistent size egg is it 6 to 9 months or after 12 months thanks

2. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    My black sex-links only layed the small eggs for a week or so, then they gradually increased in size. They are seven months old, now and the eggs are nice and big. [​IMG]
    CP

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. I guess that varies somewhat....mine laid small eggs for a little over 2 weeks, then a learge double yolker....

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] Mine started laying bigs eggs a couple weeks after they started laying.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    My sex links went to large eggs in about a week. My RIRs seem to take more like 4 to 6 weeks from when they start laying mediums to get to large.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope you find your answers ..

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    A warm welcome from Western Washington State. [​IMG] I have a EE that lays only double yolk eggs and she has only laid three times now.

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] - glad you joined us!

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

first off, [​IMG] Happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy your stay with us!! [​IMG]

Well, on average I'd say around 6-9 mos is more normal, but it's very much an individual thing. Production crosses tend to lay bigger ones sooner, but they also burn out sooner and aren't truly dual purpose. I like the old breeds, that take longer to grow up, but also last longer and are more hardy. JMP (just my preference) [​IMG]

I have a combination so you know, some Golden Comets, some old standards. I like covering all my bases!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by