When Guineas attack!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inthesticks, Jan 24, 2013.

1. inthesticks

inthesticks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My baby has been attacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (photos)
    My favorite JB roo is in the recovery pen, inside, after a horrible attack from one mean Guinea
    I can't exactly see the actual main wound on his head but I'm thinking the dang Guinea severed part of the base of the comb near his neck & scraped some flesh off the last comb point & skull as well
    Don't want to move it too much due to the amount of blood.
    & poked a shallow hole in his back, near the base of his tail [​IMG][​IMG] It happened at some point today & I could only catch him @ dusk. Horrible site indeed my handsome man covered in red running in the snow

After cleaning him up as best I could for right now I ended up having to corn starch him to get the bleeding to stop. Going out in the AM so I will be getting some real clotting stuff & a few other items.
    This comes completely out of the blue, yest I saw a guinea hold onto one of the hen's tail feathers, but it was right @ feeding time, so I dismissed it, as they ALL get into little tizzies when it comes to food. [​IMG]

Anyone else have any similar situations? How did you help your hen/roo out?
    I was able to top the bleeding w/ the corn starch & after a few hours he is now settling down to go to sleep (way past his bedtime now)

Pardon his comb - he evaded me on vaseline day. He'll be inside for a few days to recover then will get slathered up real good. ****Oh yeah.... that guinea is getting taken care of... looks like I'll be cooking up something new this weekend -no room for bullies-
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Keep him warm and comfortable. I know that they can recover from having part of the comb torn off. I am sure that he will be fine, but he will need lovings!

3. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I keep Chlorhexidine soap and rinse on hand, got small bottles of each from my vet for chicken traumas. Apply copious antibiotic ointment twice a day after cleaning; use warm water and a paper towel if nothing else. I'm not a fan of peroxide as its cytotoxic. Electrolytes in the water. He should be fine; chickens heal despite losing massive chunks of flesh.

I've heard guinea fowel do NOT like roosters. I only keep 1 adult rooster, and my 6 guineas and he free range over 1 acre so confrontations are very brief (he runs - no fool he). They do not share a coop.

4. inthesticks

inthesticks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I have over 30 chickens/ducks/guineas & they get to roam 2 acres. Since the past few days have been single digits & teens - they haven't really wanted to venture out of the fowl yard. The extra closeness & they all want the extra feed I'm putting out got them all angry. No problems till this, however It will not be tolerated since my Japanese Bantam hens & roos stick to themselves ALL the time & run away from anything bigger than them! His short little legs got the best of him this time. As for the guineas I have 2 males & 2 females, one of the males is the culprit so he wont be missed.

tomorrow we'll see about lightly patting the areas to clean up the cornstarch & put on a nice gooey layer of neosporin & if it's still too soon then back to cornstarch
    I hope I remember this good clotting medicine I used to keep on hand when I had horses back in the day I wanna say it was an antiseptic too??? Been years

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by