When/How to trim a bird w/scissor beak's beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Mar 13, 2018.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    My sweet little personality girl, Muffin has scissor beak and has all her life. Just wondering I have heard they will need trimmed and hers is starting to look a little abnormally long, not terrible just abnormal. Does anyone have a picture or something of when they should be trimmed? And how would I go about doing this? Thanks!

P.s: I can get a pic tomorrow if need be:)

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I use a pedi paw dog trimmer for the nails,sure it wouldn’t hurt to use it for the the beak.I like it better then using razors and etc.

3. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    Cool, I was thinking a regular animal clipper would work but wasn't sure...thanks!

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    It just seems like it hurts to me.The pedi paw is just a sand paper thing on a motor going around and around,basically a nail filler.I even used it on my nails just to see what they were gonna feel.

5. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    Oh, I looked it up. I don't think I would use it on her beak..I thought it was a regular nail clipper.

6. Nikkijo

Nikkijo Chirping

Apr 18, 2017
    Yuba City , California
    I have same problem. How old is a good age to start trimming / dremeling ?

7. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    I don't think age matters. Just how the beak itself is doing, as in how long it is and such. I will have to get some pics of her beak..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: