1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is a good time to process my unwanted roosters??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by maligator2012, Jul 31, 2013.

1. maligator2012

maligator2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    Maine
    Hello!!!

I have some roosters that came with the chicks i got this spring...They are EEE's but they are large and I had ordered only hens....just a mistake at the hatchery and I had planned on processing them when they hit 18 weeks...Well we are now at 13 weeks and they are becomming big jerks...of course its to be expected...there are three of them, 11 hens...and there is lots of mounting....fighting and carrying on. I am contemplating processing two of them early, just to settle down the flock. Is 13 weeks just way to early?? they are bigger then my Barred rock hens.....but i dont want to process them so early that its just a waste...if that is the case i will wait...what is everyones opinion???

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Can you set up a bachelor pad for them, so they can grow out some more but not harrass your pullets? It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to keep them separated.

3. maligator2012

maligator2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    Maine
    unfortunatly I cant set them up their own place...I did think about that....but its not do-able.....if its to early to process them...we will have to muddle thru.....they are not horrible with the girls yet.....i was just thinking if I could process them now...why make the girls live with them if they dont have too......

4. LovedMyAlydar

LovedMyAlydar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Kentucky
    I tried that with my roosters. Separate the trouble maker from the rest. This guy was the most awesome escape artist I have known. He climbed out of an 8 x 8 dog kennel run, squeezed his big butt out through the top just to get back in the pen with the others. So we make the top escape proof, even for a "climbing" rooster. Then he started crowing non-stop. And by non-stop, I mean 24/7, until he was so hoarse he could hardly crow. He finally shut up long enough to sleep a bit but as soon as he woke up again, non-stop crowing. My neighbors, who are a good piece away were not too happy with this. Needless to say he is no longer around to be a nuisance but what a tool he was. The other roosters also are gone, thank goodness. Nice and peaceful now. These guys were about 16 weeks old and no where near eating size. Just a mixed bunch of boys, some bantams, some standards, but the big guys sure did not look big enough to eat. So they found new homes with people who didn't care if they were loud and obnoxious.

5. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    The way I see it, you have three cockerels that are not going to produce huge amounts of meat, no matter how long you hold on to them. So you have to ask yourself whether the nuisance of keeping them is worth the few ounces of meat you will get if you wait 4 or 5 more weeks. For me, I would process them now. I do not have a lot of tolerance for rude cockerels, and I am sure your girls feel the same way.

Or, you can find a grouchy old hen who will mop the floor with the little brats, and that may buy you a little more time. When cockerels get rude, I put them into the layers' coop. They go in cocky, and wind up hiding in the corner or on the highest perch.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by