When is a good time to process rooster you cant keep

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bock_Bock, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i have had this rooster since it was a chick back in november but now i have 2 neighbors complaining about my chickens so i have to get rid of them (its just weird for 2 years no complaints then all of a sudden 2 neighbors at once, it my stupid neighbor next to me he is such a chicken butt lol, i think he talked to the neighbors behind me to say something i really hate people like this) well enough with that rant, well anyways so i was wondering at what age is good to process a rooster is 6 months too young?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    6 months is a little old, dual breed roos can be ready in 16 to 20 weeks

Git er done!

3. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    At six months his getting kind of old. You might want to let it rest in the frig two or three days. I would then marinade in yogurt (if grilling)
    oa vingar based marinade. If you've got a neighbor issue procees that rooster THIS morning.

4. mjjobbins

mjjobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Bartlett, TN
    Hey, people have been cooking not only young roos fro hundreds of years but for some recipes, a roo at least 1 year old is necessary. check out this video on traditional "coq au vin":

5. C-Dub

C-Dub Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Altadena
    Good info and GREAT video.

Thanks for sharing...

6. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thanks everyone for your answers it will be taken care of real soon, i think i am going to keep my other birds i dont care about the neighbors but i am going to process this rooster

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Invite the neighbors over to help you chop, pluck & gut the rooster. If they do, then invite them to the fresh chicken dinner.

8. mjjobbins

mjjobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Bartlett, TN
    Quote:I'm glad if y'all found it helpful. [​IMG]

9. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I processed a Naked Neck roo at 8 weeks. He was small. But he tasted like chicken.

10. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    As long as you get rid of your crowing rooster, and your local laws allow chicken keeping I don't think your neighbors can force you to get rid of all your chickens.

As far as whether they like it or not, I would not care at this point. They sound like vindictive jerks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by