When is a hen considered broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hippie Chickie, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Last night when my dh went to lock up the hens one of them was sitting in the nesting box. Today when I went to collect eggs the same hen was sitting in the nesting box, I thought she was just doing her bussiness and left her alone. When I went to lock them up she was still sitting there. On three eggs. I tried to jostle her out of there and saw them. She puffed up and squaked at me so i closed up the box and left her alone. So is she trying to be a mama? She is a hatchery RIR and only 6 months old.

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Sounds like broody behavior to me. Wait and see if she keeps it up.

3. Hippie Chickie

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Yep, she's still sitting there. Gets all upset with me when I open up the nesting box door. Tonight I'll try to check and see how many eggs she's got under her.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    So, the question is.. are the eggs fertile? Do you have any roosters? I thought I may have had a broody this morning, but it seems that she was just taking her time to lay her egg (by the other egg).

5. Hippie Chickie

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    We have a rooster, I'm going to check one of the eggs from the fridge to see if they are fertile. I have no idea...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by