When is a Roo ready?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by vfem, Sep 27, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    To be a roo? At what age can he actually fertilize the eggs? Do his thing you know? Is it the same age range as when pullets can lay? [​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They seem to start TRYING to do thier thing about the same time as a pullet starts thinking of Laying, usually a little earlier. I wouldn't count on his abilitys taking for a little while, he may just start going through the motions, and not doing it right till he figures everything out. [​IMG]

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thanks... I was just concerned because he's not crowing yet!? He still 'chirps and peeps'... he's 14 weeks going on 15 weeks. My girl of the same age is 'bawking' already.

I'm planning on breeding and want to use him, but he seems a bit slow?! Like special if you know what I mean. [​IMG] He's selfish when it comes to treats, and follows me like a dog would. For some reason if I'm sitting in the yard watching them, he'll come over and lay his head on my foot like he's asking for something.... then run off all wild like I just appeared out of no where.

And he's been doing a funky hop thing with the girls... but they just chest bump him out of the way.

I'm just making sure he's right in the head!

4. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

He's right in the head - just a dorky teenager is all. Give him time [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:He's trying to be a big boy. [​IMG] But like teenage girls they will ignore him(though deep down he knows they are just playing hard to get) waiting for something better to come along. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by